01 April 2016

From "classification is culture" to terminology

Listening to anthropologist and award-winning Financial Times journalist Gillian Tett discussing her book The Silo Effect, the translator and terminologist in me was struck right between the eyes by the expressions:
classification is culture and culture is classification.
(I was listening to another Big Ideas programme from Australia's ABC Radio National, this one called 
The silo effect and how to break down the barriers.)

Googling for the expression classification is culture without quotation marks (the link is to the very first returned by Google) led me to "culture classificiation" complete with a definition of "ontology" which was nice since I started this blog aiming to link Tett's expressions to the cultural component of terminology.

The "culture classificiation" page is part of the web site dedicated to the Virtual Terrain Project which links to "the fields of CAD, GIS, visual simulation, surveying and remote sensing", GIS and remote sensing being two fields in which I translated hundreds of pages in the 1980s and 90s and translator to French space agency CNES and satellite imagery subsidiary Spot Image, now part of Airbus Defence and Space.

Clearing this rambling calls for more work ...

ChatGPT, a drafting aid for translation by emulation

On 17 October 2011, I published the first of two posts summarising my general approach to the type of translation/adaptation services I was ...